Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wreck! (Update Post 15)

So I got rear ended a few days ago. I was stopped with traffic and took a good hit from a Mazada pickup going about 40 without ever hitting the brakes. Got pushed into the car in front of me as well.

Looks like it may be the end of the line for my Tundra. So sad to see her go out like this. It is not an official total from the insurance adjuster yet, but everyone at the body shop says it looks bad and the trailer hitch really damaged the frame when it bent under like that.

My neck and back are still pretty jacked up after 4 days, guess it is off to the doctor tomorrow.

Stay tuned for a mod sell-off.

-Reese

Attachments

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
hopefully the mazda guy doesnt have too much sense...otherwise they'd be saying the tinted brake lights contributed....

but yeah, i bet ur frame is jacked...be sure to get some compensation for the neck/back issues..they wont go away..probally forever. my wife still has pain here and there from hers which was similar, back in 2008....

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Wow, sorry to see that but at least your ok. Hope your back and neck problems aren't too serious. Yeah with the frame damage I can't imagine they'd let you keep it. On the plus side here's your chance to get a nice new gen-2.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, make sure you see an a attorney.
long term damage to your body.
you are young, & most likely will belive you feel better.
down the road years later, the issue's will return hard.
and since it's been recorded, you can't claim is as the 1st time, which means alot less money.

as far as tinted rear tail lights, i'm sure the guy attorney who hit you, will bring that up.
sadly barney fife is correct.
but i won't get into this, because i will blow a gasket.
i'm glad my dad, sis, & i are retired.
but i will say: we were old school, & never hirt the hard working guy.

just take care of your body, & get a good attorney.
follow his instructions, & don't talk to anyone except your attorney, refer anyone to your attorney.
you won't make any mistakes.
i know a few people where you live.
if you need, i can reach out to them.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think you should get rid of these pics and the tinted taillights. It's a shame they would try to attribute your taillights to it, but you know they will. Idiot was probably texting. Glad your o.k.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Tinted tail lights = :td:

Ive been in back of a truck w/ dark tinted tails and when the direct sunlight was hitting it I could barely see his tail lights light up.

Cross your fingers they dont put it all on you because of the tinted tail lights.....good luck w/ everything! :tu:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I presume that LA has comparative negligence. That means you could be partially at fault due to your contributing factors (tinted lenses?). Let this be a good lesson for the TSers that talk about tinting the tails and heads. However, we are getting the buggy before the horse.

Your ins company should total the truck. The Mazda dude may have personal injury coverage for your 'bodily injuries'. You can settle the truck (property damage) quickly, but don't sign off on any injury settlement until you are sure of the extent of your potential injuries.

The car in front of you has a dog in this fight as well. So Mazda dude may have limited coverage to divide. Check your policy to see if you have 'under-insured' coverage. That means your insurance may pay for your injuries if the at fault does not have enough coverage.

You should consult with an attorney to get some guidance. There's enough of them out there looking for cases / work that they should not charge you anything out of your pocket. However, if you get $XXX for your injuries, down the road, they get their chunk, plus their costs, before you get the remainder of the $$.

Presumably, LA law also mandates that you have a duty to cooperate with your insurance company.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Tinted tail lights = :td:

Ive been in back of a truck w/ dark tinted tails and when the direct sunlight was hitting it I could barely see his tail lights light up.
Not a pile on here, but, glad to hear the OP is okay. Yes, follow the advice and be sure you are protected from costs and liability.

As posted, I am not a fan of tinted tails or headlights. I got stopped once for my clear-red-clear tails and was told it was too bright for a turn signal. I got a warning but no ticket. My point, for the gang that likes tint, better to be seen, than the other way, of not being seen. I want to be seen, because I do not want some jerk jumping into my ride, because I could not be seen. Just my .02.

For the OP, glad you are okay. Play it correct and be sure you are covered. Do not play the game for money, play the game to protect yourself. It is 2 different situations, if you know what I mean. Good Luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies/advice.

The doctor yesterday said my x-rays checked out ok but my neck is sprained and inflamed. Got some medicine for the pain and inflammation and go back in a week to see how it is recovering.

I am surprised everyone is getting on to me about the tail lights so much. I thought I did good by not making them too dark for this reason. You can still see the different colors of the lens and as you can tell by the pic when my flashers are flashing, they are still easily visible. Also, my 3rd brake light does not have any tint on it if that makes it any better. I don't see this being a problem with liability since no one took pictures at the scene except me, and the Mazda driver was issued a violation.

-Reese

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, good remove the tint: NOW!
before anyone comes to look.
if it's film, or spray.
1 less thing to worry about.
gorilla

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
DO NOT tamper with the lenses or anything else on the vehicle. If they find out, that could be SPOILAGE OF EVIDENCE and you could lose the ability to recover ANYTHING, nada, zilch, zip , zero.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies/advice.

The doctor yesterday said my x-rays checked out ok but my neck is sprained and inflamed. Got some medicine for the pain and inflammation and go back in a week to see how it is recovering.

I am surprised everyone is getting on to me about the tail lights so much. I thought I did good by not making them too dark for this reason. You can still see the different colors of the lens and as you can tell by the pic when my flashers are flashing, they are still easily visible. Also, my 3rd brake light does not have any tint on it if that makes it any better. I don't see this being a problem with liability since no one took pictures at the scene except me, and the Mazda driver was issued a violation.

-Reese
not to beat too hard ya, but the pic of the light showing through easily is taken really close up...walk back to where someone would need start reacting to brake lights, from that distance back and you can see the diminished visibility of the lights...and depending on sunlight etc...you could have made it where they had no way to see them in enough time to react...but thats always the case with tinted tails...ya'll know they are illegal and its just a gamble ya'll take.

now...any idea on the estimate or totaledness yet?

·
Registered
570 Posts
as for who was at fault, it comes down to who the cop ticketed. In this situation, it is always the rear ender, regardless of circumstance. "Failure to control vehicle". Whether or not your taillights were tinted... if you were stopped and dude hit your running... it is all on him.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as for who was at fault, it comes down to who the cop ticketed. In this situation, it is always the rear ender, regardless of circumstance. "Failure to control vehicle". Whether or not your taillights were tinted... if you were stopped and dude hit your running... it is all on him.
Yes^^ I was sitting there stopped and he received a violation. Brake lights don't even have that much play here as traffic was stopped and I was stopped and he hit me.

It is totaled, due mostly to the frame damage. Anybody want something specific off it when I go get my stuff out?

-Reese

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

Well it has been a while since my '01 was totaled so I figured I would give an update.

I was in a rental for almost a month and a half before I finally got a check from the person's insurance who hit me... ridiculous.

But it was worth the wait because in the meantime I found a 2006 Double Cab with only 46,000 miles on it. I've had it for right over a week and have been doing a lot of work to it. Window tint, level, radio, door speakers, HID's and lots of cleaning and detailing. Getting new tires this week and got a few things left and I will be done... for now.

I also have a bunch of stuff off my old truck to sell, I will post it up in the classifieds when I get a chance but here is a quick list for anyone interested:

Chrome Nerf Bars
Bed Rail Caps
Custom fit bug shield (maybe)
Infinity Kappa 6.5" door speakers
6.5" 200W Bazooka Tube
400W 4 Channel MTX Thunder Amp
Black Headlights and Corner Markers
Factory Fog Lights
K&N Air Filter
4 Brand New Wheel Center Caps (16" Alloy Wheel)

I'll post some pics of my new truck after I get my tires, but until then enjoy this video of my old truck's last ride before bringing it back to the body shop.

VIDEO0003.mp4 video by rboud12 - Photobucket

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Nice to see ya in another Toy. Sounds like it is working out okay.
Be nice to see pics of the new baby and work you are doing.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
y no gen 2? :) did they give u a fair value on the totaled truck? also, hopefully you did not sign anything releasing them from personal injury liability....and hope you went ot the doctor to get all checked out and are going to make sure you are compensated for the pain/suffering etc

·
Registered
739 Posts
glad to hear your feeling better :) and have another gen 1. im replacing my tinted tail lights with clears like jbtoy :tu: after reading this post :becky:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow does that look familiar. I got the same treatment in my 2002 AC in June of 2006. Got the truck fixed (at the Toyota dealer that I am a tech at) and the truck was PERFECT. So 1200 miles later I was on my way home and yep, you guessed it, same thing! I was on the off ramp, stopped, when I heard screatching tires. A F250 slammed into the car behind me and all said and done 5 cars got the accordian action. The dude in the F250 didn't have insurance. Fortunately my insurance company is AWESOME and I got a check for my truck 2 days later.
As far as the frame goes, the first time when they fixed my truck I had some frame issues from the hitch as well. You'd be surprised what they can do. I was there when they pulled it and it literally took 10 minutes once it was on the frame machine. take a few pictures of the underside where the hitch mounts and post them.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can see in my picture where the hitch mounts to the frame (the vertical nuts and bolts). The bottom part of the frame there is bent down and it was easily straightened. If this is what yours looks like I woundn't be concerned. These frames are strong and I suspect this is all that you have as far as frame damage goes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts