Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waiting to turn right, 2 cars from the intersection when an escalade clipped a mitsubishi SUV, causing her to lose control and run into my left door, working her way to my left rear wheel and ramming the whole axle off! :sad3d: Luckily, no one was hurt. I was surprised of how the axle was ripped back like that. I guess the bigger tires made for a bigger target.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Did you by chance get lifetime alignments from anyplace? haha.

seriously, that sucks...they'll get it back on the road though...let us know what the repair bill is gonna be....ouch.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
That sucks. At least you're ok :)

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Wow thats some crazy pics man. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated

·
Registered
306 Posts
Most important is that you are ok...

Unfortunately, axles are not that hard to "rip off" in an accident.... Since it is something that is basically bolted to the truck and has to move (suspension) it leaves it vulernable... Nice thing is a new one and new suspension hardware gets bolted back and an alignment shop sets it straight. Hopefully it didn't bend the frame... Obviously frames can be succesfully replaced and cut out as that is how stretched and custom limo's are made...

I bet this is an expensive repair regardless....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Most important is that you are ok...

Unfortunately, axles are not that hard to "rip off" in an accident.... Since it is something that is basically bolted to the truck and has to move (suspension) it leaves it vulernable... Nice thing is a new one and new suspension hardware gets bolted back and an alignment shop sets it straight. Hopefully it didn't bend the frame... Obviously frames can be succesfully replaced and cut out as that is how stretched and custom limo's are made...

I bet this is an expensive repair regardless....
VERY TRUE!!! We have had two second generation Tundras at my shop with the same hit, and both times it pushed the axle back and pulled the driveline out. However in both cases they did not have any kind of frame damage due to the fact that the the links and leaves are not as strong as the frame (they fail before the frame does). Sorry to hear about your loss bro.

·
Registered
819 Posts
That is some crazy pics. Glad your ok, sorry about your Tundra. Maybe the escalade had a stuck gas pedal or faulty brakes!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Looks like it has that fancy 4 wheel steering!
Like others have said, hope it didnt twist the frame or anything when the axle got toasted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When is the funeral for whoever's fault it was?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Man, I hate to see stuff like that happen. Glad your ok, sucks about your truck especially as it looks like you've done quite a bit of work to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to all for the support! Initial estimate is right under 10K, but likely to rise. Oil is from the mitsubishi, oil cooler is right behind the right front bumper. Some did come from my shock, as it got ripped apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
damn that sucks, it'll b up n runnin no time; its a tundra

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel your pain, I was in an accident on Friday night when a girl decided to make a left hand turn in front of me even though she had a red light. Once again no one was hurt, but I am frustrated that I am without my truck for a few weeks!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts