Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello brothers. :D

Like many of you I decided to treat my trusty Gen 1 with the Amsoil EaO15 oil filter, which is much larger than the OEM sized EaO57. Upon purchasing my first EaO15 I noticed this larger filter is completely smooth.....no serrations or grip enhancing mechanisms of any kind, which may limit the selection of wrenches used to remove and tighten it. Right now, the only tool I can see working with such a filter would be a strap style wrench, which I never cared for as they can crush filters if not used carefully. I will indeed use a strap if I must, but I would rather hear about some special wrench that some of you have found that allows tightening / loosening of the EaO15 like a normal cap style wrench? :first:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mr. Creosote -

This is the first time I have heard the EaO15 being used. I have used the EaO34 on my Tundra - which is larger than the recommended one (EaO-57), but a bit smaller than the EaO15. The "advantage" (if you can call it that) is the gasket size and bypass filter are identical to the EaO57, so there is little risk in using it.

I notice the gasket size of the EaO15 is different, however. How well does it fit? Do you have any leaks? Why not use the even larger EaO26, which is significantly larger than even the EaO15, but has a gasket size identical to the EaO15?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
There is also a plier type of filter wrench with rubber grips that I use from time to time that should work well for you especially since there aren't any grip enhancements on the casing.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I've used this, but I don't know about smooth filters. I'm gonna put rubber tubing on the jaws to make it anti slip; maybe even heat shrink tubing?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I second TEMPETOM's nomination of the "spider" wrench. After a lifetime of struggling with various types of filter wrenches ... caps, pliers, rubber straps, metal straps ... I bought a spider wrench for less than $9 at an Autozone store. I've had it for more than 15 years ... works on all my vehicles, past and present, including motorcycle, lawnmower, tractor, UTV, and I long ago threw away those POS wrenches. I have never had to consider putting rubber tubing on the spider wrench legs to improve grip, but it can't hurt. You'll never regret buying one of these wrenches.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
Jeez guys... How hard are you cranking on those things when you install 'em? I bear down on 'em hand tight and that's it. Rarely do I even need to use a wrench to get them off. Never a leak either.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I got :cheer2: hands I need a wrench :bwaaaaaht:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Almost all filters only want 3/4 of a turn once the base meets the gasket and we can all do this with our hands. I'll agree that even with a 3/4 turn install, the filters get a bit tight so a strap wrench helps with the start.

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was just wondering why would you spend $15+ on an oil filter. I have been usin M1 oil with a Toyota filter, going 10K miles between oil changes. My lates Blackstone analysis at 160K miles shows the same wear as it did at 65K miles. It shows less wear than most other people at 35K miles. Not starting an argument but a Toyota (or WIX) filter cost only $5.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I run the Eao15 as well. I hand tighten it and remove it with an oil filter wrench that looks sort of like a large adjustable pliers. It has large teeth on the jaws that grab the filter to remove it.

The reason I use the Eao15 is that it uses a synthetic membrane and not paper to filter the oil. It is 98.7% efficient, and you can run them 25,000 miles or one year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mr. Creosote -

This is the first time I have heard the EaO15 being used. I have used the EaO34 on my Tundra - which is larger than the recommended one (EaO-57), but a bit smaller than the EaO15. The "advantage" (if you can call it that) is the gasket size and bypass filter are identical to the EaO57, so there is little risk in using it.

I notice the gasket size of the EaO15 is different, however. How well does it fit? Do you have any leaks? Why not use the even larger EaO26, which is significantly larger than even the EaO15, but has a gasket size identical to the EaO15?

Do anybody have an answer to the question above?
Does Ea015 fit well or not? you are using Ea015 that will go strainght on the engine block or though a Bypass system similar to Amsoil Bypass system? Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts