Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was leaving my driveway. Turned wheels left to exit, no problem. Turned wheels to right and the steering wheel stops and won't turn anywhere past straight. I try to force it a little and the engine revs to 3000 all of a sudden (foot not on the accelerator) and the car almost takes off! What is happening here?? Power steering issue? I put the vehicle in park and tried again and it does the same thing. Turning car on and off didn't do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I try to work on my own car so I don't have to take it to the shop, and I have the repair manual. I'm hoping it's something I can tackle. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did have to unlock the steering wheel by rotating it before I started the car. Could it be an issue with the lock cylinder? How would that effect the acceleration if so?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Never heard of this issue. Maybe your steering wheel is off/loose and allowing you to turn left but full lock to the right? Like it came loose and you unknowingly turned the wheel all the way to the right? Steering wheel sensor is connected to a few electronics but nothing I can think that would cause acceleration. are you throwing any codes? Check your steering linkage and see if it’s caught up somehow on something

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of this issue. Maybe your steering wheel is off/loose and allowing you to turn left but full lock to the right? Like it came loose and you unknowingly turned the wheel all the way to the right? Steering wheel sensor is connected to a few electronics but nothing I can think that would cause acceleration. are you throwing any codes? Check your steering linkage and see if it’s caught up somehow on something
Can you help me with identifying the location of the steering linkage so I know exactly what to check?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Can you help me with identifying the location of the steering linkage so I know exactly what to check?
Pop your hood, look on the driver side between the engine and battery toward the back where the master cylinder is. You can look down and see it connecting to the steering rack below... Its a long shot that its held up by anything but maybe you can figure it out from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would venture to say the hydraulics in your steering rack may have gone out.

Question: When the steering wheel stops does it feel like a mechanical stop or does it feel like you are fighting the hydraulics?
If the answer is mechanical then I would look for any physical obstructions to the rack, tierods or the column itself.
If it feels like you are fighting the hydraulics then the power assist part of the rack is likely failed. That would also explain the sudden rev to 3K. The computer is just trying to give you the pressure in the PS system to overcome the obstacle it thinks you are crossing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts