Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member. 1st post. Waiting on a Crewmax Limited in super white. Still have a another month or so before delivery. I have seen a few posts on the location of the XM antenna. Are all factory installs mounted on the dash or is that the port installs. I have XM in my GMC 2500HD and it is mounted on the roof. I get great reception in that location.

BYE BYE GMC 2500HD

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
lol, I left the same truck for a Tundra. All I can tell you is youre gonna freak out! Youre gonna love it.

Ive heard the dash mount loses reception at times. I think a roof mount would be a better spot. I ran my last trucks Sirius antenna thru the third tail light and never had a reception problem, unless I was under the awning at the bank drive thru.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
The accessory directions include a mounting kit (PT546-34079). In it is a "Ground Plate". The directions say "(a) Install the antenna as follows:
(1) Remove the release paper from the back of the ground plate. (2) Install the antenna ground plate so it aligns with the driver's side front speaker grill. (3) Remove the release paper fron the antenna. (4) Install the antenna on the center of the ground plate. The directions go on to describe how to run the cable. I have not done, nor seen the installed antenna. I don't know if the factory install (if there is such a thing) has the antenna in the same location. I would like to know what the "ground plate" looks like. I too would like to know how a factory antenna install looks like. I can't find a listing for any other type of XM antenna.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i have sirius, and have the antenna on the dash. No ground plate, and it does cut out once in a while, always in the same spots. only on back roads, never on the highways, and only cuts for a second or so. Can be annoying if listening to talk radio.............like stern or something.It did this in my 05 as well. If you want it to never cut out, you need to go up top on the roof, where that is one huge ground plate.
I can not have visible wires anywhere, so I am not running it out and up top. I know the 3rd taillight is a good spot to go out if you would like, but I just cant rip apart the interior, possibly causing squeeks and rattles, possibly get a leak through the taillight, and have an exposed wired outside.
You can make the entire antenna wire invisible by going up to the corner dash. I went to the passenger side, going to put the gps on the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I am guessing that the "Ground Plate" is nothing more than a painted piece of steel that is stuck on the dash. I am interested to hear what it is though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts