Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. I am looking at purchasing the XM Radio Receiver and Fit Kits for my Tundra, but I was curious if anyone who already has one installed could post pics of the installed antenna.

Also, to those who have done this install yourselves, how hard was it and hwo long did it take?

Thanks..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of the antenna. I have the NAV and decided to let Toyota do the install.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
How is the XM reception with the atenna placed on the dash. When I had my 03 AC, I installed XM and the directions specifically said not to put it on the dash, as there would be interrupted reception. So I ran the antenna through the third brake light and mounted on top of the truck. I would like to know where you live and how the reception is. With me being in Washington State the satelites are more in the southern sky than directly overhead, so if I am on a northerly direction the reception would have to go through the roof of the truck.

TIA

·
Registered
347 Posts
The antenna on the dash seems to work as well as the antenna I had on the left back window of my Titan. It does fade out quite often, but that is not the antennas fault. Mountains and Redwood trees aren't conducive to good satellite reception.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If I order NAV and XM Satellite is the XM built into the Nav unit or is it a separate box? (aside from the antenna)

:confused:

·
Registered
347 Posts
It is built into the NAV. You don't even know if it is there until you push the SAT button. All SAT functions except volume and on/off are on the NAV screen.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
If I order NAV and XM Satellite is the XM built into the Nav unit or is it a separate box? (aside from the antenna)

:confused:
Separate box/brain located under the drivers seat, plus the antenna, but it is not a separate display, it will intergrate with the Nav screen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi guys.. I am looking at purchasing the XM Radio Receiver and Fit Kits for my Tundra, but I was curious if anyone who already has one installed could post pics of the installed antenna.

Also, to those who have done this install yourselves, how hard was it and hwo long did it take?

Thanks..
One other option to consider.....Samsung is making a combination mp3 player(ipod)/XM receiver. Since you probably already have the IPOD jack, depending on the stereo you have, you could use this portable device and have best of both worlds for about $100. Check it out Handheld Portable Satellite Radios at Crutchfield.com I am hoping to order one next month!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Anyone adding Xm, I would consider mounting the antanae outside the cab.I had issues in my '04 (told by installer that the windshield material interfers?) and after relocating it to the outside on roof above windshield it never "cut out" while driving. The installer place mine in my '07 on the dash, had same issue of "cutting out". Will be relocating to third brake light. Something to consider.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've got a Pioneer Inno color-screen portable XM radio plugged into the Aux Jack. It's also an MP3 player so you can load songs into it on your computer. It also works similar to TiVo in that you can record straight from XM anytime you hear something you like or want to go back and hear what that last comedian was saying on XM150. You can also program it to record a program at a future specified time (I think the aux power jacks turn off after 5 hours of inactivity because I saw it here on TS). If you plan your installation and take a little time you can eliminate most of the spiderweb of wires portables tend to require.

·
Registered
214 Posts
how can i switch over to sirius without having to redo everything. isnt there an adapter for that kinda thing out?
With the recent merger of XM and Sirius I believe they said all stations would be merged within the next year sometime.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Tis true, if the merger is approved. But, his XM receiver will always be an XM receiver and never a Sirius. He cannot buy an adapter and plug it in to his XM to change over to Sirius. They may add Sirius channels to the XM and XM channels to Sirius.........but would double the cost..........not gonna happen. More likely is a "blending" of the XM and Sirius channels and then broadcast that to both sats until a new receiver is designed that can receive both.

RE

·
Registered
764 Posts
Here's a picture of my Pioneer Inno (XM/MP3 player) installation in my '07 Tundra. My truck is an SR5 so I had only one button on the console to the right of the mirror controls (RSC). I moved the RSC button one hole left and left it's original hole unplugged. Toyota designed the button locations to not be interchangable by making each button have keyed tabs and the corresponding hole having custom grooves (i.e. foolproof). Being the fool I am I ground down the keying tabs on the RSC button so I could pop it into the next hole left (CM rear window?). With the hole left-over from the original RSC location I passed-through the XM power, antenna and audio wires and directly into the Inno dock. I put the XM antenna on the co-pilot's side just like wileetundra did for his Roady XT. Power for both the Inno and my V1 radar detector are spliced into the lighter circuit for ignition switching on/off.

I had originally considered putting the Inno where the ash tray is (bench seat/column shift) but opted to put a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller there instead, resulting in the shown location for the Inno.

Picture of Prodigy here in different thread:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/94240-where-to-mount-my-brake-controler/#post628113

The Inno has worked out great so far, especially with wileetundra's washer ground-plane below the XM antenna.

UPDATE: Edited 05/03/2007 ..... I have decide I cannot live with the above location. See the following post for an explanation of why this is not a good idea:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/92457-xm-radio-antenna-picture-request/#post653121

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's a picture of my Pioneer Inno (XM/MP3 player) installation in my '07 Tundra. My truck is an SR5 so I had only one button on the console to the right of the mirror controls (RSC). I moved the RSC button one hole left and left it's original hole unplugged. Toyota designed the button locations to not be interchangable by making each button have keyed tabs and the corresponding hole having custom grooves (i.e. foolproof). Being the fool I am I ground down the keying tabs on the RSC button so I could pop it into the next hole left (CM rear window?). With the hole left-over from the original RSC location I passed-through the XM power, antenna and audio wires and directly into the Inno dock.
I put the XM antenna on the co-pilot's side just like wileetundra did for his Roady
XT. Power for both the Inno and my V1 radar detector are spliced into the lighter circuit for ignition switching on/off.

I had originally considered putting the Inno where the ash tray is (bench seat/column shift) but opted to put a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller there instead, resulting in the shown location for the Inno.

Picture of Prodigy here in different thread:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/94240-where-to-mount-my-brake-controler/#post628113

The Inno has worked out great so far, especially with wileetundra's washer ground-plane below the XM antenna.
How can I see how the xm antenna fits on the co pilots side, is there a pic. somewhere. & what is a Washer ground plane??

thanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
A ground plane is a term for the metal surrounding an antenna mount (usually at the base) that allows the antenna to perform properly. It is usually more important for transmission than reception but effects the performance of each mode. For purposes of this discussion we are not meeting the strict deffinition of "ground plane" because no part of the XM antenna or signal wire is electrically bonded to it's mounting surface as would be the case of a police radio atennna, etc... Perhaps "reflection plane" would be a better term. Doesn't matter.

In the case of the little button-type XM antennas so common today they are designed to magnetically mount to an exterior metal surface of the vehicle. They do such a good job for their size because they are effectively using the vehicle's body panel metal as a "reflector" of sorts to help amplify the satellite signal. What you get in the antenna box is only half the antenna; the existing car metal is the other half of the antenna. So if you merely flop such an antenna up on a plastic dashboard you only have half the antenna and it will not perform as well as when resting on metal (i.e. there is no "ground plane" or "reflection plane"). Toyota provides a proper reflection plane by bonding a small metallic plate to the dashboard under it's XM antenna as part of the installation kit. This can be seen a few posts above as provided by TS member skyhammerz. Those of us not using OEM Toyota kit and mounting inside on the dash will have a similar need for a ground-plane under our antenna and TS member wileetundra discoverd a 2" diameter metal washer under the antenna boosts signal strength to design levels. It also provides the added benefit of allowing the antenna magnet something to grab onto (as long as said washer isn't stainless). So only the washer need to be adhered to dash.

See TS member wileetundra's intallation page here for picture of aftermarket antenna on "co-pilot" side:

2007 Tundra XM Radio & Shift Knob

I may be wrong on some of the technical explanation of why this works but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
Anyone adding Xm, I would consider mounting the antanae outside the cab.I had issues in my '04 (told by installer that the windshield material interfers?) and after relocating it to the outside on roof above windshield it never "cut out" while driving. The installer place mine in my '07 on the dash, had same issue of "cutting out". Will be relocating to third brake light. Something to consider.
I would be very interested in details about how to route antenna signal wire to center brake light area. I'd like to do that too, but a cursory inspection of the light assembly and roof panels has me stumped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts