Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put the XM radio in without being ordered from factory. I am going to buy my double cab limited from stock and it doesn't have it in. do you know if the radio is XM ready, any help would be great.:confused:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yes, the Limited's are XM ready. You'll need to purchase the tuner and fit kit. You can mount the tuner under the front drivers seat and the antenna can be run thru the third tail light onto the roof.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Radios are XM and Sirius ready. You might want to check to see if you can get the hardware from a Circuit City or Best Buy to work with the Toyoata stock radio. Its a lot cheaper that way. Let me know what they say.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The fit kit is the hardware mounting brakets for the antenna and tuner. Youre tuner will probably go under your drivers seat and you can run the antenna wire from the tuner under youre door sills and up thru the 3rd tail light and onto the roof for optimum reception. Center the antenna in the rear of the roof about 8 inches away from the light fixture. Enclose the wire in the small trim piece they give you for the factory look.

What I did with mine was I put velcro (the really rough part) strips on the bottom of the tuner and just layed it under my drivers seat and the velcro grabs the carpet and keeps it from going anywhere.

Someone here had a PDF of how to take apart the dash to get to the headunit. You'll need to plug in the tuner behind the dash with the provided cable. Do a quick search and you should be able to find it, I thought I had it for you but I must have trashed it....sorry.

Hope that helps.

Mark

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Radios are XM and Sirius ready. You might want to check to see if you can get the hardware from a Circuit City or Best Buy to work with the Toyoata stock radio. Its a lot cheaper that way. Let me know what they say.
Thats the first I've heard that they are ready for both. Are you positive?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
has anyone tried something like this from Terk to interface with the stock head unit? I'm interested in doing this too, but don't want to spend a fortune doing it.
I am quite sure this will work hell of a lot cheaper also dealer wants $700 to do the same thing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was told the radios are ONLY XM ready, and the units have to be purchased through a dealer. This is what Best Buy told me. They can't do the install either since they do not sell the item.

Wonder if those Terk units will work? Fittings the same to plug into Toyota factory stereo?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Wonder if those Terk units will work? Fittings the same to plug into Toyota factory stereo?
I don't know. I'm thinking of calling this guy or emailing him to ask these specific questions. I already have an XM Sportscaster that I used to have in my BMW M3, but the controls leave a lot to be desired so I'm looking for affordable alternatives.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going to try putting the Terk XMD1000 + XMDTLK (sometimes called XMDTL100), in on Monday. I will post if the wiring harness is just plug and play. It is going into my 2007 Double Cab Limited with the JBL non nav head unit.

XM Direct Satellite Radio Package Allows you to play XM through your XM-ready Toyota or Scion factory stereo at Crutchfield.com

or for us Canadians

Satellite Radio Source - Sirius and XM Satellite Radio : Widest Selection Lowest Prices

By using the XMD1000 as the XM tuner I will be able to just change the wiring harness when I put a Kenwood DNX7100 in. (waiting for the METRA dashkit to come out at the end of May)

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I am going to try putting the Terk XMD1000 + XMDTLK (sometimes called XMDTL100), in on Monday. I will post if the wiring harness is just plug and play. It is going into my 2007 Double Cab Limited with the JBL non nav head unit.
Let me know how this works, I'm interested n hearing about it when your done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am quite sure this will work hell of a lot cheaper also dealer wants $700 to do the same thing.
I bought the "TERK" aftermarket kit for my "07 Crewmax"... Got the KIT (reciever and toyota converter) on E-bay for $159.00, brand new in box. Circuit city installed for $59.00!! Total laid out...$$218.00, and it works GREAT... Supports ALL control functions!!! SAVES a ton of $$$:D :D :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could you post a link to the eBay auction page you bought the kit from so that we can contact the seller to see if they have more. Thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like N1SIX posted, the TERK works perfect with my factory JBL system.

I had it installed professionally (wanted a nice clean look with the antenna out the 3rd brake). They said it was basic plug and play.

It only puts out 10 characters on the display but sounds great and very easy to use with the factory buttons and steering wheel controls.

Total price $285 CAD.

Spread the Virus XM202:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts