Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever found a walk around on a yaw rate sensor? Mine is extremely sensitive and it's driving me nuts! It triggers the ABS TRC on many corners, especially if they're not banked correctly.

I replaced the one that came with the truck with a used one off ebay ($150), hoping this would solve the problem. It didn't seem to help. Dealer suggested I replace with a genuine Toyota sensor ($700), and if that didn't help we could look at a $1200 computer. Uh, I don't think so.

I understand this sensor is part of a series of sensors, but just thinking there might be a way to trick this thing into thinking it's functioning correctly without affecting the other sensors. I know I can unplug the entire ABS system and live with idiots lights on the dash, but I don't like that option as I'd prefer to have those for other notices, should they occur.

Anyone have experience with this walk around? Or suggestions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Scan it with a scan tool with abs, the check light usually doesn't come on for abs stuff unless major problems (but even then I scanned mine a bit back and found out that my ABS system unit itself just is plain broken) I've been driving it like this for a while and haven't noticed any difference, try unplugging the neg battery terminal and then unplugging the ABS unit then plug the neg battery terminal and look for a ABS code light to come on, if not your good, if it creates an undrivable problem just unplug the battery and re plug in the ABS unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ZPC was done both after the yaw rate sensor was replace and also when the dealer did the frame replacement (I presume, since they took the entire truck apart).

Grier, if I understand this right, the process you’re suggesting is to disable the entire ABS system, correct? And if the ABS warning light comes on, which I'm pretty sure it will, then just live with the lights being on all the time? I believe disengaging the ABS will probably disable the yaw rate sensor, but I'd rather not have the ABS lights on continuously....instead, hoping to find a way around that. It seems to me that there are just a few wires that go in and out of the sensor. I would think there is a way to jump these wires, or put some sort of diode or transistor in line.

Meanwhile, I'll do the disengage just for s&g and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The absence of the yaw rate sensor does not disable ABS. it only disables VSC and TRAC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Did the dealer give you the codes, i.e. C1360 or C1361?
When I had code C1360, it was one of the Master Cylinder Pressure Sensors.
I just went on and replaced both, at a cost of approximately $300 each.

Before determining it was a sensor, anytime someone in this forum or on the web in general shared a ABS/VSC/TRAC solution that worked for them, I tried it.
I had replaced just about everything you could replace related to the those warning lights.

I paid a repair shop to replace the brakes and the brake fluid.
I paid a mechanic to replace the master cylinder and the brake booster, and I replaced the ABS brake pump module myself.
I bought a used yaw sensor module that I was going to try if replacing the Master Cylinder Pressure Sensors didn't work.
I paid about $300 for each one. Only needed 1, but went on and changed both. ABS/Brake/VSC TRAC lights disappeared immediately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How sure are you the dealer performed the ZPC?

I'm having similar issues. When I purchased my 2003 Sequoia recently, the seller replaced the Yaw sensor but they did NOT do a Zero Point Calibration. I need to get that done, preferably without a trip to the dealer. But I don't have any scanners or special tools. I've been searching for a while, but still can't figure out if I'll be able to do the ZPC on my own or it's a dealer thing.

Has anyone seen a clear set of instructions for doing a ZPC on a 2003 Sequoia?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did the dealer give you the codes, i.e. C1360 or C1361?
When I had code C1360, it was one of the Master Cylinder Pressure Sensors.
I just went on and replaced both, at a cost of approximately $300 each.

Before determining it was a sensor, anytime someone in this forum or on the web in general shared a ABS/VSC/TRAC solution that worked for them, I tried it.
I had replaced just about everything you could replace related to the those warning lights.

I paid a repair shop to replace the brakes and the brake fluid.
I paid a mechanic to replace the master cylinder and the brake booster, and I replaced the ABS brake pump module myself.
I bought a used yaw sensor module that I was going to try if replacing the Master Cylinder Pressure Sensors didn't work.
I paid about $300 for each one. Only needed 1, but went on and changed both. ABS/Brake/VSC TRAC lights disappeared immediately.

I have the same problem with my '05 Tundra DC as described by the OP. I have had the ZPC done with no effect. Now considering a new yaw sensor.

Are you saying that the Master cylinder pressure sensors were the problem?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2wd. This is extremely frustrating but we will get through it. The murder sequoia is still at it trying to kill me. To date I have unplugged and run the vehicle with the following. VSC plug on the brake fluid reservoir, lights (VSC, Trac, ABS) came on no change in performance. Yaw control module under the center console, lights (VSC, Trac, ABS) came on no change in performance. I have also replace the throttle position sensor (non wire on the 2005) with a used one, no change in performance. Replaced the Mass Air flow sensor because I had a trouble code, no change in performance.

What other sensors feed the VSC or ECU that would shut the vehicle down almost every time at the same set of environmental and input variables? Steering position sensor? Trans Fluid change? Rear shocks? I just don’t know but it’s to the point that I’m thinking about a low mileage 2007.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Are any of these vehicles lifted or leveled? If so, the yaw sensor may need to be 'shimmed' to correct for the new stance of the truck. There was a thread on this at some point, where the VSC would engage coming off an highway ramp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are any of these vehicles lifted or leveled? If so, the yaw sensor may need to be 'shimmed' to correct for the new stance of the truck. There was a thread on this at some point, where the VSC would engage coming off an highway ramp.

The vehicle is leveled, this happened long after those modifications were completed (years). I have tried the ZPC with no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I feel your pain—same exact symptoms. Mine is a 2005 DC with only 58k miles. Have had ZPC done 3 times in the last year. Have a crack mechanic with 30+ years of Toyota experience. I have tried almost everything, with no luck.

Desperate for a solution, I drove to a stealership today and talked with the service manager. "A process of elimination. Could take a few days. Hard to estimate what the cost could be. Could be expensive."

Wish there was a definitive answer here. Not willing to shell out a possible $2k or more to have them mess around with it.

Anyone with a magic wand, please let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys having a real problem finding my Yaw rate sensor in my 2006 tundra double cab.

Its went out after a dead battery now twice. I managed to zero point calibrate then tpms button when turning ignition on that cleared the vsc lights.
This time that wont work think i need a new Yaw Rate sensor....no problem if it was under the console as stated in the 05 -06 fsm but it is not located there on my 06 double cab....
Anyone know where their Yaw is located 06 tundra?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same problem you did and more. It would just go off randomly while driving and pull the steering wheel to the right.

I replaced the yaw sensor and did the ZPC with no luck. Yes, you can calibrate it yourself although I don't know the instructions, they're on the forums somewhere. After being frustrated and hours and hours of research I took it the the dealer. They wanted $3200 to replace the abs/trac computer and another $900 to replace the SAS. But it came with a free alignment, how nice of them. this is sarcasm for those of you that can't tell

Obviously I said hell no to that and decided to take out the vsc lights in the dash and unplug the sensor on the brake cylinder. ABS still works and I don't have traction, that's something I can live with. No engine or abs lights show up. My bluedriver doesn't read any codes for the whole system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts