Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what years exactly 4Runner Limiteds came with the electric lockers? Is it 1996-2000? Also what years have a transfer case that is locked in 4Hi and 4Lo not just 4Lo. I had a 99 SR5 that the transfer case locked in 4Hi but no electric locker.

·
Registered
417 Posts
96-99 had the locker as a option and from 00-02 they had awd with a center diff lock but no locker also they all should have 4wd hi and 4wd low

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know what years exactly 4Runner Limiteds came with the electric lockers? Is it 1996-2000? Also what years have a transfer case that is locked in 4Hi and 4Lo not just 4Lo. I had a 99 SR5 that the transfer case locked in 4Hi but no electric locker.
My 2000 4Runner SRS "Highlander" has the optional electric locker with the manual 2/4wd system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, the rear electric locker was available from '96-'00. It was an option on every model of 4Runner, though, so it's not a sure thing on any model if it just "came" with the e-locker. The 2001 was the first year 4Runner where they attempted to add the brake-the-spinning-wheel computer control system that doesn't work nearly as well off-road as the rear locker.

The transfer case difference you are referring to is on different models within the same years. In '99 and '00 a Limited 4Runner had the "multi-mode" 4wd system, which basically added an open diff in the middle inside the transfer case so you could choose to drive it as a "full-time 4wd" with the center diff unlocked. But also in '99 and '00, the base and SR5 models (like my '00 SR5 4Runner "Highlander") had the 4wd transfer case that doesn't have the center differential capability - so it's essentially locked in either 4H or 4L, the same way that 4wd drive systems decades ago worked.

If someone ever chooses to get a 2nd transfer case (like a Marlin Crawler) for off-roading, you'll wish you had the simpler and shorter transfer case of the base or SR5 models, since I've heard that someone has already proven that the multi-mode transfer case of the Limiteds is too long for another transfer case to fit between the frame crossmembers and before the gas tank.

I'm not certain of the details of the transfer case used starting in '01.
Jeff

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, basically also trying to avoid one with an AWD only option when in 4Hi like in my Sequoia. In Sequoias you could only lock the center diff in 4hi in 2003 an newer models :td: . Mine's an 02 :mad: . In all years of Sequoia the center diff can be locked or open in 4Lo.

I like knowing the info about the simpler case. I also used to own a 99 4Runner SR5, I know for a fact (here in Canada, not US models) you could not buy a 99 SR5 with a locker, you could also not get a stick in a Limited. I bought an SR5 with a stick and added the locker myself. It was convenient becasue the front and rear diff I pulled from the wrecker had 4.30 gears while my stock ones were 4.11, then I added a lift and tires. If I still owned it I'd love a SAS and second case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts