1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
All of the tundras on my dealer's lot have thousands of dollars of "port" options that are a complete rip-off. I'll be darned if I am going to pay for that nonsense...

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Try working on a farm without 4x4, and after a bought my car with NAV, I said I would never purchase another vehicle without it...I have poor corrected vision, so NAV is a godsend. Also, I want the TRD suspension...I think the ride is a bit mushy without it, and I like a stiffer ride...I want to feel the painted lines on the road.:cool:
It's not a matter of me being picky, it's a matter of yoter not having a truck that fits my needs on the lot.:)

I don't care that it is an issue for Toyoter, because it forces them to grow and adapt. They now must use their efficiency and quality to cater to the clientelle that they so want to win over. Good for them for stepping up to the challenge:tu:

·
Registered
64 Posts
In order to get the truck like I wanted it, I had to take one that had remote start ( a $500 ? option) which is pretty much useless in Calif. Oh well at least it had all the major items I wanted.

·
Registered
435 Posts
This article seems strange to me. Why not write an article proclaiming that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit? Of course it does, and of course Toyota is going to encounter many types of requests. That's exactly why the new Tundra was built. And since it is brand new, there will obviously be some growing pains until the inventories are up. Eventually, there will more options and configurations on this truck than anyone could imagine. After all, Ford and Chevy are the target and that's what Toyota must offer to take market share.

BUT IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN IN THE FIRST SIX MONTHS AFTER INTRODUCTION! :rolleyes:

I dare say Ford and Chevy in their first year of launching full size trucks didn't have the options and configurations that they do today. It took a long, long time for that to happen (what, maybe 75 years?). Give Toyota 4 or 5 years, and we'll all be amazed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
picky?

dealers around here have 1, maybe 2 CM's, and want to take deposits for $500 below MSRP. And I don't want to wait 'til September, 'cause there will surely be better buying once supply catches up.

How can they sell Tundras if there aren't any on the lots? I've seen some sitting around for well over a month -- are they keeping these as demo's, or are they holding out for MSRP?

I think there's a method to their madness.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This article seems strange to me. Why not write an article proclaiming that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit? Of course it does, and of course Toyota is going to encounter many types of requests. That's exactly why the new Tundra was built. And since it is brand new, there will obviously be some growing pains until the inventories are up. Eventually, there will more options and configurations on this truck than anyone could imagine. After all, Ford and Chevy are the target and that's what Toyota must offer to take market share.

BUT IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN IN THE FIRST SIX MONTHS AFTER INTRODUCTION! :rolleyes:

I dare say Ford and Chevy in their first year of launching full size trucks didn't have the options and configurations that they do today. It took a long, long time for that to happen (what, maybe 75 years?). Give Toyota 4 or 5 years, and we'll all be amazed.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think Toyota will ever have the ease that GM and Ford have when it comes to customers finding exactly what they want. The reason for this is that Toyota is only capable of making around 200,000 trucks a year, compared to GM and Ford manufacturing 800-900,000 each. If you go to a Chevy lot, there are probably 70-80 or more Silverados in all types, colors, trim levels, etc. If you go to a Toyota dealer, they'll probably only have 20-30, even once production is up and they're fully stocked. Considering there are 31 cab/bed/drivetrain configurations (not even taking into account colors, options, etc), the selection is going to be much more limited. Especially since they'll stock multiple models of popular configurations (4x4 Crewmax w/ 5.7, etc).

I think eventually Toyota will establish a dealer network where they can exchange trucks more freely and quickly to get customers exactly what they want.

It didn't take GM/Ford 75 years to get the extent of configurations they have now, because those amount of different configurations weren't needed until fairly recently. Trucks 75 years ago were bought much more for work purposes than daily driving duties, so different configurations weren't needed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
They wanted to be the truck that's changing it all. They built a truck with the heart and soul customers want, but they gotta understand if someone is spending $35K-$40K on a pickup, they want exactly what they want.

Me, I'm one of those picky customers:
Black exterior
Black or grey interior
Standard Bed, DC, bucket seats
4x4, 5.7L

The aboves are a must, I don't plan to pay $500/month for 5 years for nothin'. =)

·
Registered
226 Posts
REALM,

I test drove a crewmax with TRD last weekend at Lemieux Toyota in Green Bay WI. Your truck as you described it is sitting on their lot. If intersted give em a call....fly up and drive it home. They are not MSRP crazy. Tell them what you will pay and make the deal.

I totally agree with you post. I am looking for a Slate Crewmax, Limited, Graphite interior, 5.7L 4x4, TRD preferred but not necessary, with parking sonar, cold kit, mudguards, and NO MOONROOF. Got that on your dealers lot? HAHA:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one not willing to "take what's on the lot". As far as the Big Three, I don't know about 75 years ago, but I know that by the late 1960s when I got my first car car ('69 GTO, 400, 4 speed, verduro green with black vinyl and black vinyl roof, Mmmmm), you could walk in and, if the option was on the order sheet, you could order it. And the color. Wait a while and the car you wanted showed up. I find it very hard to believe that the folks who brought us "just in time" inventory can't get the idea of ordering what you want at the dealer, waiting the 6-8 weeks (or whatever it is) and then picking up a PRE SOLD truck. Zero days on the lot must be good for business??? For now, I'm sticking to my guns and NOT taking what they deign to allow me to buy. If things don't change, I may never own one, as I want a limited long bed with Nav, sonar, tow mirrors, etc. I really hope they come to their senses by '08.
:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts