Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
And another thing I didn't see mentioned here:

You do have to put at least 91 octane in it to avoid detonation. And I've got the spark plugs with the burnt insulators to prove it.

Sad thing is, Consumer Reports lists this as about the best pick-up out there. It's not a bad truck just not up to what I and probably alot of others expected from Toyota.
The inconsistancy of problems amongst owners can only be attributed to poor quality control. Where's this truck made again?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mine doesn't drive itsllf or keep itself clean. I would have expected the truck to do everything for me. I mean, it is a Toyota..... :rolleyes:

Some of the stuff I see posted here that people complain about makes me laugh. Go get yourself a Dodge or Ford and see if you complain about such small things. That is, if you can keep it out of the shop long enough to drive it....

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's likely a matter of perspective. Folks who came to the Tacoma from Ford, GM or Dodge probably think it's a pretty darned good truck. Those who have had Toyotas for awhile may be a bit disappointed since the quality may be a little lower than in the past. There is always something to criticize but my Tacoma is a heck of a lot better than the two Rangers I had. Toyota has never been perfect. The Corolla we had in the late 80s was a total piece of crap.

·
Registered
290 Posts
87 octane is approved in the Tacoma V6. The manual only recommends 89 or better for best or better performance. I personally use 89 because I've found better performance equates to less downshifting and better gas mileage. For me.. I found no difference between 89 vs 91. However, the few times I've used 87, I never heard any type of knocking whatsoever. The Tacoma, as most modern engines, are equipped with knock sensors that retard the timing when detonation occurs. This form of closed loop spark control is where the vehicle's ecu automatically retards all cylinders to prevent detonation. If you have burnt insulators, I would say you may have an issue with the ecu or a bad knock sensor.
And another thing I didn't see mentioned here:

You do have to put at least 91 octane in it to avoid detonation. And I've got the spark plugs with the burnt insulators to prove it.

Sad thing is, Consumer Reports lists this as about the best pick-up out there. It's not a bad truck just not up to what I and probably alot of others expected from Toyota.
The inconsistancy of problems amongst owners can only be attributed to poor quality control. Where's this truck made again?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've got a late build 2005 Tacoma, and haven't had any of the issues that others have had. I'm pretty aware of my vehicles too, so it's not because I'm "tuned out" of what it's doing. Only thing I think I "might" have an issue with is that the coolant level went down 10 mm in the overflow tank over a couple of years ... but that could be normal though, and it really doesn't worry me.

It is strange that some people have all kinds of issues and others have none. It's all due to manufacturing/assembly quality and tolerances for the most part.

I would suspect by the 2007 model year that Toyota has fixed a lot of issues that had showed up in the early 2005 models ... in fact, they fixed most of those on the assembly line by late 2005.

It's the luck of the draw. The best advice I can give you is to TEST DRIVE THE ONE YOU ARE ACTUALLY GOING TO BUY ... and take it on a LONG test drive if possible.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts