Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're not familiar with Zaino Show Car Polish, it's REALLY good stuff. I've been using is since about 2002. Read about it on their website: Zaino Store
You might be a little confused as to which products you need, so I'll recommend the following steps.

1. Wash your Truck with Dawn soap. Dawn is harsh, so only use it when you're about to polish your truck.
2. (Optional) Use Z-18 Claybar. Claybar removes surface contaminants that soap can't remove. You'll end up with a clean and smooth surface. If anyone needs instructions on how to claybar, let me know.
3. Apply Z-AIO. AIO is a cleaner and polish. Apply it like wax, let it dry, remove the residue, and buff to a shine. LET IT DRY! - Not letting it completely dry is the #1 mistake.
4. Apply Z-CS. CS is a sealer. Spray it and wipe it around. About 1 oz will do your entire truck! There's no buffing or polishing, just wipe it on and let it dry.
5. Apply Z-8 Grand Finale. Z-8 is a gloss sealer. There's no buffing or polishing, just wipe it on and let it dry.

That will get you a very good shine. For fanatics who want an ultimate shine, insert the following steps:
3a. Apply Z-6. Z6 is a gloss enhancer. It should always be applied between layers of polish. There's no buffing or polishing, just wipe it on and let it dry.
3b. Apply Z-2 Pro. Z-2 is a straight polish for clearcoat paint. Apply it like wax, let it dry, remove residue and buff to a shine.
3c. Apply another layer of Z-6.

There are other good Zaino products such as:
Z-7 Car wash. One or two cap fulls per gallon is all you need.
Z-9 and Z-10 are a leather cleaner and leather conditioner.
Z-16 is tire gloss. It gives your tires a semi-gloss shine. It does not give a "wet" look.
Z-5 fills in "spider scratches". But, you have to apply multiple layers for it to work. Alternate Z-5 and Z-2.
Z-PC is available if you have lots of scratches in the clearcoat. It contains a disintegrating abrasive. You should use an electric polisher with this product.

Tips: Use ALL Zaino product sparingly. "More" is not better. Use 100% cotton towels. (Be careful that the hem is not nylon or polyester.) Use AIO or Z-2 on your windshield, it helps bead water when it rains!

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Great writeup on Zaino.

I'll start off by saying, that I am a Zaino fan and use it weekly. I do have some questions and comments on your thread however that maybe your and Jumbo (another Zaino user) can address.

1. Zaino Clear Seal is something I have never been a fan of. Compared to the other WOWO sealants (UPGP, Opti-Seal) it has no comparison in looks. Its as if Z-CS *only* adds protection, no gloss, wetness, slickness etc.

2. Z-8 is a product that does need to be wiped on and buffed off. If wiped on and let dry, small streaks and a slight haze may form depending on conditions. I use it like a spray wax (well, it is basically). Spray, wipe, turn the towel and buff. Same thing with Z-6, dont apply and let dry.

3. From what I have experienced and read, Z-2 is no "polish". Its a sealant with no polishing abilities. Duragloss does the same thing calling their sealants a polish.

4. I like Z-5 not for swirl filling ( I have found it does not do this at all), but for another sealant. Z-5 seems to work better on darker colors, while Z-2 works better on lighter colors. If its my truck, I do Z-5, then a layer of Z-2.

5. Sal Zaino, for whatever reason, keeps insisting his customers use 100% cotton towels. Even though my opinion, I say no to cotton towels. Good quality microfibers work much better, remove wax easier, apply spray products like Z-8 and Z-6 better, and has much less chance of micro-marring than cotton.

Like I said, great post, just a few comments from another Zaino user.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure Z-2 Pro is a polish (only, not a cleaner or seal). It goes on like "wax". Let it dry to a haze, remove residue, and buff for a shine. Topcoat it with Z6 or Z8. Also, Zaino recommends that you apply Z-2 vertically as opposed to swirl.

Microfiber FOR AUTO DETAILING is fine.

Unfortunately, Sal Zaino is sort of a...jerk, I've talked to him personally a couple of times.

Not my car, but this is Zaino.

This is my car, but that's not me working on it.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
I've actually talked to Sal as well, and got the same jerk feeling from him. If it barks like a dog, and smells like a dog...

Check autopia.org for many many threads on the Z-2 polish vs sealant thread. I am on the side that Z-2 is sealant only and has 100% no polishing ability. One of the great detailing debates.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Thanks for the info.

1. Dawn is such a redundant step, I'm not sure why in this day and age it is still recommended. If you are claying there is absolutely no need for it.

2. ZAIO is my new favorite all in one, love it. I have had ghosting from it if let set too long, so I do one panel at a time then wipe off.

3. ZCS is a pretty nifty WOWO, but it doesnt replace Z2/Z5 for me.

4. Z8, I used to buy it a lot, but now I just use Z6 in its place. Although it smells like a million bucks, I dont see much difference between the two at this point. Z8 DOES need to be wiped on and off.

5. By all definitions Z2 is a sealant. I'm not sure why Sal still has "polish" written on the bottle, it always confuses people. There used to be a day when you called Zaino, Sal would answer the phone regularly. I asked him about Z2 and he said it was a final step sealer, it contains no abrasive properties and needs to be applied by hand or with a black finishing pad.

6. Not sure why he still recommends 100% cotton towels with the superiority of Microfiber on the market. I'd take a Prima Monster Fluffy over a Fieldcrest cotton towel any day of the week.

7. Love Z9 and Z10 leather cleaner/conditioner. Smells like brand new leather and doesnt leave a greasy look, my favorite leather care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts