Toyota Tundra Forums banner

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just saw this thread and haven't read all 16 pages of it. However, I had an occasion where I left the dealer and almost every warning light on the dash was either lit or blinking. Called dealer - no help. I pulled over to check it out because all those lights seemed pretty extreme. I got out, went to look around and found the hood was not closed securely. I opened the hood, glanced around, closed it firmly, get back in the car and viola, no more lights. This was a 2009 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4X4, btw. And apologies if this has already been addressed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I wanted to post a thanks for this thread and list. I liked having some expectation of the issue before going to the shop.

Below are the parameters for my 2007 5.7 V8 4x4 Tundra with 114k mi. The issue was a dirty rear wheel sensor, which aligned with the list. Mechanic cleaned it and all lights are off.

Check Engine = off
VSC = blinking
Traction control = solid
Brake = off
ABS = solid
4Hi = blinking
4Lo = blinking
TPMS = off

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am brand new to this forum ... I have currently 4 Hi and VSC blinking and traction and ABS solid ... I have no 4WD ... thank you for the great spreadsheet ... I have not decided whether or not to take it to a dealer or try to find the "cut wheel sensor wire" myself ... I will keep you posted ... thank you, again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok this issue has been driving me nuts for a while so I'm going to share what iv figured out threw trial and error. So 808tundra you have nailed the issue I'm working on right now. Like superberry said this thread has a few different issues. So I'm going to try to help by putting a complete list of issues related to 808tundra and myself. I have a 2008 tundra 5.7. Ok 808tundra if you look when you lose comm and tach shuts off you should notice your outside temp gauge reads --- because we have just lost comm with the computer. Plus your cruse control and 4 wheel drive will not work during this time as well.if you scan the code you will get a lost comm code like flybryy stated. So that's are main problem were trying to find. Were is the short causing the comunication to flicker creating lost comm. And no this is not going to be fixed with a new gas cap or sensor wire by the wheel or air
pump or any of the other things people have posted. You can try if feel free but it's just a waste of money. Luney 79 posted he noticed outside temp playing a roll. Ty luney 79 that helped me greatly I used my ac and heat to constantly reproduce the issue witch I'll explain further. I have been dealing with this problem for over 3 years now and its getting worse especially in the winter when my 4 wheel drive wont ingage and if I turn the know to w wheel high while comm is lost and the comm is restored again the 4 high 4 low lights will flash because the computer doesn't know what's going on so turn 4 wheel off then back on and it should be fine. One day I was so mad because I needed to plow and I couldn't get my 4 wheel drive to work I hit the top of dashboard in anger. Right above the emergency flasher and right corner of the instrument cluster is. I saw the tack gauge bounce. I
was like wtf? I slammed it again and boom tack came on, outside temp came on all gauges that go off came on. The lights where still flashing on the dash so I shut the truck off turned it on and they went off. This is 100 percent repeatable as long as the dash is not below 40 degrees f. Every time I hit a bump in the road is goes off and on as well. I believe the problem is in the instrument cluster or a wire going to it.i will be pulling it apart in a few months to try and fix it. If and when I do I promise to post the fix here. If any of you fix yours before me please post it as well to save me some headache. Thank you sincerely Msgnetic4s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After loading brush in truck (2017 Tundra TSS Sport 4x4), have flashing Hi/Lo, ABS, Traction,Brake,Message in center about trailer switch error"manually stop and call Dealer". Not a heavy load, just trimmings that could get tonneau cover over. I gave up on Fords for a Toyota hoping it would be tough and last.Whats up with this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you to @mendonsy for creating the sodesdsheet. Saved me some grief and money. Made the fix easy. Hopefully it's 100% resolved.

Story - I have a 2014 platinum all original. I bought new tires and rims and had them transfer the tpms over. Rims are the platinum Toyota 20". So everything is Toyota. There was water in the tires so I had to grt them looked at 4 times until they figured out why they won't balance right. About 3 days later I had Christmas come early in a mild 50s - 60s March Corruptifornia climate. 4lo 4hi flashing, abs, traction control, brakes were solid. Tachometer did not work. No 4wd or 4lo of course. Otherwise the truck ran perfectly in all gears. I bought new sensors for both sides. But before I changed them out I checked all harnesses, and used brake cleaner for each sensor. Bought a $50 voltmeter but I wasn't sure I was checking each sensor for functionality correctly. I didn't remove the rear sensors. I only unplugged the wiring and cleaned them. Drove it around and no change. Next day all lights were off. Sensors are still new in box. I bought them off Amazon for $20 each.

One thing of note - I had code p0500 speed sensor a.

Thanks to everyone keeping this alive and keeping us out of the stealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry I should have mentioned.

My truck has 68k miles 2014 platinum Crewmax, of course. Engine light was off. No other light on except what I previously mentioned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I bought a 2008 Tundra 4WD about 6 weeks ago. 210K. Engine light was on so they replaced the Air Pump Switch Valve according to the code it spit out.
It runs much better now but now I have Christmas Tree Dash. Steady slippery when wet, VSC flashing, engine on, 4Lo flashing. They basically said "??*♂". I looked at the spreadsheet (very helpful) and it will be helpful when I return to dealer for them to connect again next week. Again, it runs and sounds great. This is my first Tundra.
Any input specifically for all this happening after I got the switch valve replaced? (They mentioned the air pump would go bad if I did not replace the switch valve...but I did right away) thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Hello. I bought a 2008 Tundra 4WD about 6 weeks ago. 210K. Engine light was on so they replaced the Air Pump Switch Valve according to the code it spit out.
It runs much better now but now I have Christmas Tree Dash. Steady slippery when wet, VSC flashing, engine on, 4Lo flashing. They basically said "??*♂". I looked at the spreadsheet (very helpful) and it will be helpful when I return to dealer for them to connect again next week. Again, it runs and sounds great. This is my first Tundra.
Any input specifically for all this happening after I got the switch valve replaced? (They mentioned the air pump would go bad if I did not replace the switch valve...but I did right away) thank you.
I suggest that you contact Paul Hewitt and install one of his AIP bypass kits. https://hewitt-tech.com/

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had this issue with my 2011 Double cab Limited. It was a wheel sensor wiring harness I believe. Something to do with them not being protected from moisture. I wasn't happy at about $350 bucks to replace with an updated version where that supposedly won't happen. This is something Toyota should have done a recall on. Even though it was 7 years old at the time it only had 50k miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this thread still active? If so, I have a new update for your PDF.

The lights that were displayed were: CHECK ENGINE (ON) TRACTION CONTROL (ON) and 4 LO (FLASHING). These lights would come and go every day or couple of days. But always at the same time. I took it into 3 different places. One of them a Toyota dealer who wanted to charge me $5200 for a new tranny. Next, a transmission shop that said they could find a used for me, for around $3k, but never called back. Took it to another transmission shop, that said it was a solenoid and they could fix it for me. That they did, for $505.04. A far cry from the rebuilt/used tranny, Toyota wanted to charge me for. My Tundra is a 2010 double cab, with 194k +- miles it. Thanks for the PDF, it ruled a few things out.

As many of you are aware, I have been working on a spreadsheet to try to sort out the meaning of the various dash light patterns which occur when there is a problem. While it has not produced the results that I expected, it does seem to have some value so I am attaching a copy of it here:

I originally expected to find patterns that would allow everyone to diagnose problems from the lights. While that does not appear to be true, the light patterns do seem to be consistent when a failure occurs so they have some value.
If you have a problem that results in these light patterns please post a link to the thread discussing the problem here.
1) Insure that you list exactly what lights were displayed.
2) Let me know exactly what the problem was and how to fix it.

This thread will be much more useful if the actual problems are posted elsewhere and a link to them is attached here.

Oh!... and thanks again to Tundradrenalin for figuring out a way to update the pdf file without breaking the links to it.

Edit: The way the the TS forum deals with attachments has changed. The most current copy of the "lights" spreadsheet will now be attached to this post only.

·
Premium Member
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #253 (Edited)
Is this thread still active? If so, I have a new update for your PDF.

The lights that were displayed were: CHECK ENGINE (ON) TRACTION CONTROL (ON) and 4 LO (FLASHING). These lights would come and go every day or couple of days. But always at the same time. I took it into 3 different places. One of them a Toyota dealer who wanted to charge me $5200 for a new tranny. Next, a transmission shop that said they could find a used for me, for around $3k, but never called back. Took it to another transmission shop, that said it was a solenoid and they could fix it for me. That they did, for $505.04. A far cry from the rebuilt/used tranny, Toyota wanted to charge me for. My Tundra is a 2010 double cab, with 194k +- miles it. Thanks for the PDF, it ruled a few things out.
Yes it is still active. I will update the PDF file as soon as I can figure out how to do that with this new format.

Note: This new site format does not permit me to edit post #1 so there may be multiple copies of the PDF file with different contents.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine was doing the same thing today I followed the front left wheel sensor wires up to find that the white one was split chewed and corroded. I spliced the wire and the lights went away. I found out which sensor it was by taking it to an auto parts store and it did show up on the computer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey 2009 tundra 5.7 v8 2wd Sr5 owner here and I have been having some problems. Had the p2441 code Pop up bank 1 stuck closed. Also had a vsc, trak, abs, and brake light on. I have been seeing some threads where you mentioned a spreadsheet. I was wondering if I could get that from you. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
The latest copy of the spreadsheet is attached to post # 253. I would suggest an AIP bypass kit from Paul Hewitt (hewitt-tech.com) to get rid of the p2441 code.

241 - 256 of 256 Posts