Toyota Tundra Forums banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
+1 for another successful fix. Owned since new and had a warranty repair on rear window in 2006 (2 months after TSB released). Popped off the plastics this morning (hint: large rear plastic piece covering motor/regulator slides up to remove after all plastic inserts have been popped out), removed the spring/stuff in step 14 of TSB, tapped motor twice with the socket wrench and !VIOLA! the wife now has a sequoia with operable rear window (happy wife=happy life).

Not surprised that the stealership failed to remove the spring piece noted in the TSB that came out 2 months prior to my first visit (thanks Toyota Kearny Mesa)...they probably just tapped the motor back then, too!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just finished this repair and it worked perfectly!! Unbelievable.

Prior --> Window did not work at all, motor would engage but no movement, defrost did not work, wiper did work.

After --> Removed the paneling (simple), unplugged the ECU, removed the black cover, smacked the motor about a dozen times with a rachet from 4-5 different angles, removed the stopper bracket and spring, reassembled, reset ecu --> working window (including remote down), wiper works, defrost works.

Brilliant!

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to add my two cents....I had completed the repairs as indicated by others thus far without success. I had power to the motor.

The Fix....I took the motor out of the door and completely apart to find that the brushes brushes had disintegrated and were no longer completing the circuit "within" the motor. Purchased some new brushes and sized them to be the same as the original, put the motor back together and back in the door....FIXED!!!!

I would be this is why the "hitting the motor" or "slamming the door" methods worked. By doing so, it knocked the remaining brush in place to complete the circuit (likely only a temp fix).

Hope this helps out!

Eric

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
265 Posts
Oh man I wish mine was as simple to fix!
I just got an 02' with 165k miles and a broken rear window........ I was hoping it was one of these simple fixes.
Nope! The entire driver side metal rail is rusted out to the point that it broke and isn't connected at the bottom anymore. The other rail is pretty rusty and the sliders are all jammed up. The plastic rail on the bottom of the window where the regulator is connected actually broke off on one side too. The regulator arms are a little too rusty for my taste but may still work.
There was a handful of rusty bits and powder in the bottom of my tailgate as well!
So, I basically found a used rear window and regulator with motor for $225 at a pick and pull yard and bought two
new metal rails and some various needed bolts and a small bracket for about $110 from the dealer. The only good thing about this is I saved some money with the used stuff............ A new window and regulator are about $850 new!
Now I just need some time to remove and install.
Think I might coat the back of the rails and some of the regulator with heavy grease to prevent the rust......... I thought about painting them but that may be more hassle. Any better ideas guys?

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
265 Posts
FYI, just fixed mine today!

Here are some various pics:

Old regulator:

Old window with messed up/broken brackets

I used a shop vac and sucked out all the crap from inside the door, coated any rust stains with converter stuff and then coated all the new pieces with grease all over.....hopefully that will delay the crazy rusting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 successful fix, removed parts ini step #14 and closed her up. Nice to have the rear window back again. Saw my next door neighbor doing the same fix just a few days later, he however had already bought a new motor and door handle. Looks like what we already knew these issues run deep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys rock! Fixed my rear window motor and will even be returning the 100.00 new one I bought on eBay thanks to removing the 2 bolts and spring in the Toyota SB! Bonus. Now time to get all my
New TRD Leather interior installed and the Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate DVD Sound System upgrade in!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another one fixed. Just bought another 04 Sequoia 10 days ago and one of the known issues was the rear window not operating. I don't know which one fixed it but I tried the scraper on the gasket to make sure it was not stuck then removed the screws, clip and spring noted in the TSB and tapped the motor with the handle of a screw driver and now it works great. Took about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just want to say this forum rocks! I have an 05 and have already paid to have the back window repaired once before. They said it needed a new motor. This time I was not about to pay again. I followed the TSB directions and took the spring and bolts off. Then I tapped what I thought was the motor a few times for safe measure and walla! Its all fixed!!! I just want to add, I am a homemaker who has changed a tire once in her life! I am an intelligent person, but by no means a mechanic. This did take me just under an hour, but it was actually pretty easy! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2002 Sequoia, and the rear window will not go down. The rear wiper works, but it goes all the way to the stop rest with each sweep, and then when I turn it off, it stops in a random place on the window, not at the stop rest.

Also, strangely, when I turn off the ignition and remove the keys, and then push the rear window "down" button, the rear wipers come on.

This seems to be a bit of a different situation than the one in which the rear window and rear wiper both don't work.

I'm not really sure what would cause this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OK, I fixed my rear window/wiper problem, with the wiper going all the way to the stop rest with each sweep, and then stopping in a random place on the window, and the rear window not working.

I took the panel off of the rear door and checked the connections to the ECU. I pushed both connectors into the black box, and the one on the left clicked when I pushed it in. Then, I tested the wiper and window, and both work perfectly now.

This connection had apparently been coming loose, and last weekend I was on some rough dirt roads and it must have shaken the connection loose even more.

If you get a chance to check your connections, you can disconnect both connections, and then reconnect them, MAKING SURE THAT YOU HEAR THE CLICK. The whole process took about 20 minutes.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another successful "fix" here, too. :cool:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
2004 Sequoia 4x4 Limited exhibiting same issues as described throughout this thread. Followed step 14 and now my rear window works like a champ. Thanks for saving me $580.00 that the dealership wanted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My original 04 Sequoia I bought a few years ago had the window go out again. This time I tried just one thing, removing the clip and the spring as noted in the TSB then tried the window and it worked fine. Another one fixed. Hopefully it won't quit again. If it does, I will try tapping on the motor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, we just bought another Sequoia ('05) and found the rear window and windshield wiper not working. To my surprise, when I opened up the back to take the plate and spring out, it had already been removed. So I rapped on that motor hard, and the window and wiper are now working.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here are the steps I've taken so far for my 2006 Sequoia SR5:

1. Hold down the rear window button to reset: when pressed I hear a "click" and then another "click" after ten seconds(this happens when pressing up or down).
2. Remove and replace all connectors being sure to fully seat each.
3. Remove Spring and brackets as specified in TSB.
4. Tap motor firmly several times
5. Ensure rubber gaskets are not stuck to glass.

I have tried each of these remedies a couple times and the rear window still does not work.

Again the "Black Box" makes a "click" sound when I press the dash button and again after ten seconds. Window does not move...

Anything else to try? something I am overlooking?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here are the steps I've taken so far for my 2006 Sequoia SR5:

1. Hold down the rear window button to reset: when pressed I hear a "click" and then another "click" after ten seconds(this happens when pressing up or down).
2. Remove and replace all connectors being sure to fully seat each.
3. Remove Spring and brackets as specified in TSB.
4. Tap motor firmly several times
5. Ensure rubber gaskets are not stuck to glass.

I have tried each of these remedies a couple times and the rear window still does not work.

Again the "Black Box" makes a "click" sound when I press the dash button and again after ten seconds. Window does not move...

Anything else to try? something I am overlooking?
It's more than likely the motor is out. I had posted in August of last year (see Post #76 above) that we had solved the rear window problem on my wife's '05, but that was short lived. So I decided to buy a brand new motor from 1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online that came with a lifetime warranty. Replaced the motor, and it's been working fine ever since October of last year.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's more than likely the motor is out. I had posted in August of last year (see Post #76 above) that we had solved the rear window problem on my wife's '05, but that was short lived. So I decided to buy a brand new motor from 1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online that came with a lifetime warranty. Replaced the motor, and it's been working fine ever since October of last year.
Did your "black box" also make the clicking sound when the button was pressed?

61 - 80 of 108 Posts